August 18, 2022

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) will no longer destroy smuggled luxury cars that it would intercept in the coming days.

BOC Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero said the change of policy is based on the instruction given by the Department of Finance to forego the destruction and instead, focus on auctioning the smuggled cars to raise money.

So far, Guerrero said they have already auctioned three luxury cars.

“We have 20 more that will be subjected to auction. This will generate an estimated P100 million for the government,” said Guerrero.

Destruction of smuggled luxury cars became a practice during the Duterte administration in a move to warn smugglers and the consignees.

Despite media stunt, smuggling, however, continued as manifested by the series of interceptions of luxury vehicles.

The Bureau of Customs (BOC) will no longer destroy smuggled luxury cars that it would intercept in the coming days.

BOC Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero said the change of policy is based on the instruction given by the Department of Finance to forego the destruction and instead, focus on auctioning the smuggled cars to raise money.

So far, Guerrero said they have already auctioned three luxury cars.

“We have 20 more that will be subjected to auction. This will generate an estimated P100 million for the government,” said Guerrero.

Destruction of smuggled luxury cars became a practice during the Duterte administration in a move to warn smugglers and the consignees.

Despite media stunt, smuggling, however, continued as manifested by the series of interceptions of luxury vehicles.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.